Hey people! I realise it has been a long time since my last blog post, and longer still since I was last able to post updates on a regular basis, but I want to assure you that I haven’t abandoned my blog. I hope it goes without saying that the lack of activity is not the result of laziness on my part. On the contrary, this year I’ve been so busy with other matters I haven’t even had time to keep up with the blogs I follow never mind keep my own updated regularly. But the time has finally come to rectify that state of affairs.
You may recall from the last update on my work in progress that I decided to re-write everything from scratch because I wasn’t happy with the opening chapter. Since then, though I’m much happier about the state of my WIP, I am much less happy about the slow progress of my writing throughout September. While most of the problems that prevented me from getting as much done as I would have liked were (as usual) out of my control, I fully accept that there is one issue that is in my power to affect: Time management.
It’s been a while since the last update on my current work in progress, principally because it’s been slow going (in more ways than one) these past three weeks or so, resulting in no noteworthy progress to report. However, it’s probably now worth mentioning a very significant development with my WIP (the sequel to The Exercise Of Vital Powers) that occurred at the end of last week which has had a drastic impact upon the direction and progression of the story.
It’s time for another update on my current work in progress. Unsurprisingly, last week was not as productive as the previous week, though surprisingly it wasn’t due to any of the usual suspects negatively impacting my freedom to write. The time I was able to devote my WIP wasn’t significantly less, but I only have a single chapter to show for it. What hindered my progress in the end were two time-consuming bumps in the road; the first was minor, therefore easy to resolve, while the second proved to be a major problem that took much longer for me to figure out.
Last week was a surprisingly productive week for me with regard to my current work in progress. That being the case, I feel it is worth my while to provide an update of where I am, so far; even if only a handful of my (soon-to-be) legion of rabid fanboys and fangirls notice. For those of you now scratching your head wondering what I’m working on, you obviously missed (or didn’t pay attention to) my announcement in late June, in which I mentioned my decision to focus on writing a follow up to my debut novel, The Exercise Of Vital Powers, even though it was originally written as a stand-alone tale. While at this early stage of writing I hesitate to claim that significant progress was made on my “untitled sequel” last week, I certainly feel like I’m finally on a roll now, to the extent where I hope to have the first draft completed a full month sooner than expected.
After five consecutive days of intermittent hardware trouble and operating system problems, on top of the usual broadband connection issues with my ISP, I’ve decided to just take the hint. All the time I spend online could, frankly, be better utilised doing something much more productive; and as luck would have it, I’ve recently started working on my second novel in earnest, so it obviously makes sense to focus my energy on completing the first draft ASAP, rather than stressing about not being able to get online.
Since publishing my first novel at the end of April, I haven’t had time to do much in the way of writing; at least not in terms of writing a second novel. Leaving aside the personal circumstances that (as usual) have been constraining my time and ability to focus on my fiction writing, the other factor that had been preventing me from starting any meaningful work on a second book was my indecision concerning what story I want to tell next. I began outlining two stories at the same time until I could make a decision about which of the two I wanted to proceed with. Fortunately, that decision has now been made.
I may have mentioned that the Kindle edition of my debut novel, The Exercise Of Vital Powers, was released without fanfare a few days ago, and can be purchased now from Amazon’s Kindle Store. I may or not have mentioned I am currently preparing a paperback edition for publication later this summer, while simultaneously laying the groundwork for a slightly more high profile release, in terms of marketing. So now that I have the first book under my belt, I’ve been thinking about my writing goals for the remainder of the year. My ruminations have led me to start tentatively outlining two future novels. At the moment I am undecided about which of the two I want to prioritise, so I will work on them concurrently until I make up my mind.
It’s been a long, hard slog reaching this point but I am now one step closer to my final destination. The changes I decided to make to my work-in-progress, after it was last edited, have been completed and my manuscript is undergoing (what should be) one last bout of editing. Much to my surprise I am very pleased with the state of my final draft, so I feel quietly confident it will shortly be deemed fit for publication, once it’s been looked over. If my assessment is correct I should be able to give the finished story to my beta readers before the end of next week.
In the first post of this revamped blog I mentioned that the manuscript for my soon-to-be debut novel was undergoing a final round editing. My inexperience in these matters led me to optimistically believe that this editing would be completed some time during the first half of February. I now have a greater appreciation for what a painstakingly tedious task an editor takes on when it comes to getting a manuscript into a publishable state; an alternate way of saying the job took longer than I expected, though I now understand why.